Photo: Teddy Thörnlund|
The Aluminization plant of the Uppsala Observatory
The aluminization plant was set up in 1959, during the construction period of
the Kvistaberg Schmidt telescope. It was designed by the engineer F. Thorlin, Stockholm,
the engineer in charge of the building of the Kvistaberg Schmidt.
The vacuum chamber for the aluminization consists of a cylindrical tank with a diameter of 1.8 m and a height
of 1.7 m.
Aluminizations of telescope mirrors with a maximum diameter of 1.35 m,
the diameter of the Kvistaberg Schmidt mirror, are still carried out here.