Numerical Simulations of Stellar Surface Convection
- Small patches on Sun and solar-like stars: easily done
- Small patches on main-sequences A-type stars: demanding
- Complete envelope of cool supergiants: difficult...
... due to necessary resolution and messy physics
- Grid: 5123 points
- Microphysics: opacities for cool atmospheres (molecules...)
- Radiation transport: non-local, implicit for inner atmosphere
- Radiation transport: non-LTE for outer atmosphere
- Rotation, magnetic fields?
- Dust formation: non-equilibrium description
- Post-Processing (data analysis, synthetic spectra...)