- Dust grains should settle. What keeps them up?
- Likely solution: mixing due to macroscopic flows. But which?
RHD simulations with CO5BOLD
2D Cartesian box, 400x360 grid points,
1D approximate Riemann solver (compressible)
- Radiation transport:
non-local, non-grey 5-bin opacity scheme (PHOENIX data)
- Monomers and dust:
- 2-bins: monomer + grains, one size per grid cell, "easy nucleation"
- multi-bin: monomers + several grains sizes, "difficult (detailed) nucleation"
- Investigation of basic transport mechanisms for dust and gas
- Derivation of 1D mixing description to be included in PHOENIX