The Old Observatory today
Photo: Teddy Thörnlund   2009

The Old Observatory in Uppsala

The old observatory was built during the years 1844-1852, through the efforts of astronomy professor Gustaf Svanberg.
It was inaugurated in the summer of 1853 in the presence of, among others, the famous astronomers Struve (Pulkovo) and Argelander (Bonn).

The telescopes in the park are still used today by all the visitors from the general public and by Uppsala Amateur Astronomers - UAA.

The Old Observatory before the renovation in 2004
Photo: Göran Henriksson   1981