Photos: Teddy Thörnlund|
The old workshop building of the Uppsala observatory. It was first set up in 1925, and was later expanded.
The old workshop was mainly a mechanical workshop where serveral telescopes were
built and refurbished, and where many smaller
instruments of different kinds were constructed.
For example the Uppsala Southern Schmidt telescope was entirely built here, and also parts of the
large Schmidt telescope at the Kvistaberg Observatory.
In later years, until 2000, it was mostly an electronical workshop where several detectors
for telescopes at ESO in Chile were constructed.
The building is today called the "Wallenquist pavilion", in honour of the Uppsala-Kvistaberg astronomer
The workshop was renovated in 2003-2004 and has now a lecture room for groups of visitors from the general public.
It is also the home of Uppsala Amateur Astronomers, UAA, with their library and equipment.